Popcorn Shrimp is a type of deep fried breaded and/or battered shrimp seasoned with spices and served with different dipping sauces.
- 1 kg shrimps, peeled and deveined
- 1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1 1/2 beer
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
- oil, for deep-frying
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- Pat dry shrimps with paper towels, give it several score it on the sides this will help the batter adhere better to the shrimps. Set aside.
- Combine Cajun seasoning in a small bowl then divide it into two equal amounts. Season shrimps with one part of the Cajun seasoning and salt.
- Combine together flour, cornstarch and remaining Cajun seasoning. Add the beer and mix until well combined.
- Place breadcrumbs in a large plate. Set aside.
- Prepare a deep fryer or wok filled with oil for deep frying, heat up to 180C.
- One by one dip shrimp in the batter then into the bread crumbs then drop carefully into the hot oil. Do it with the remaining but do it in small batches. Cook until golden, this will take around 3 minutes.
- Place cooked shrimps in a paper towel lined plate to remove excess oil, season with salt then serve with your favourite dip. I used aioli and sweet chilli sauce.
This is brilliant Raymund! I can never get my eldest to eat shrimp but I know if I deep fried with with all of these delicious spices he would love it. Thanks for the inspiration. Wishing you a super weekend!