Kanitama-don is a Japanese style omelette filled with crab meat served on a bed of rice. This dish definitely has its Chinese origins and evolved from the popular egg foo young
- 3 large eggs, beaten
- 1/2 cup crab meat
- 1/4 cup bamboo shoots (rinsed and julienned)
- 1/4 cup spring onions, chopped
- 1 tbsp water
- freshly ground black pepper
- 3/4 cup chicken stock
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp sake
- 2 tsp sugar
- 2 tsp potato starch
- 3 tbsp green peas
- 1/2 cup enoki mushrooms
- freshly cooked jasmine rice
- oil for frying
- In a sauce pan combine together chicken stock, soy sauce, sake, sugar and potato starch mix it well then place on stove top. Bring to a boil and simmer until sauce thickens, add the green peas and enoki mushrooms and cook for a minute. Turn off heat then set it aside.
- Combine all Kanitama ingredients in a bowl, mix well.
- Prepare a non-stick round pan, add oil then place on medium heat. Pour omelette mixture, lower the heat and cook for 4-5 minutes or until bottom is brown and crispy. Flip over then cook for 2 more minutes. Remove from pan then set aside.
- Place a scoop of rice in a plate, place omelette on top then pour sauce on top then serve.