Yasai Itame or simply Stir Fry Vegetables in English is a common side dish in Japan and like most stir fries there are not set ingredients to use in making one, usually whatever is available on the vegetable bin goes into the pan.
- 1/2 head cabbage, thinly sliced
- 1 (150g) small pack bean sprouts
- 1 small carrot, thinly sliced
- 4 stalks spring onions, thinly sliced
- 150 g fatty minced pork
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 tsp minced ginger
- 1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 tsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp sugar
- freshly ground black pepper
- fish sauce
- sesame oil
- In a wok add oil then sauté garlic and ginger.
- Add the minced pork and cook for a two to three minutes or until light brown in colour.
- Add the onions, cabbage, spring onions and carrots then stir fry for two minutes in high heat.
- Add the bean sprouts, sugar and sesame oil then stir fry for one more minute.
- Season with fish sauce, soy sauce and freshly ground black pepper, stir fry for one more minute. Remove from wok then serve.