Thai Shrimp Stir-fry with Tomatoes and Basil
When we buy basil for a dish we usually get the ones in the pot but sometimes those ones is quite too much for cooking just one dish hence we always have leftovers and what’s worse they just wilt and die. There are many tips how to store these herbs but in case you want them fresh then you need to cook them immediately. This was the case recently when I made pasta for dinner, we have half the plant still waiting to be used. I have tomatoes and Prawns in the fridge, this I thought I can make Thai style shrimp stir-fry.
Thai Shrimp Stir-fry with Tomatoes and Basil is a simple stir fry of shrimps, tomatoes, pepper and Thai basil. It is very easy to make, within 15 minutes you have freshly cooked stir fry that you can serve with steamed jasmine rice and enjoy. The original recipe calls for Thai basil but regular basil can be an option, they almost taste the same so it will yield a nearly similar result.
- 500 g large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 medium yellow capsicum / bell pepper, sliced
- 1 small red onion, sliced
- handful of basil leaves
- 1 punnet cherry tomatoes, halved
- juice from 1 lime
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp water
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- 1 tsp red chilli flakes
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp grated ginger
- peanut oil
- In a small bowl mix and combine soy sauce, water, sugar and fish sauce.
- In a wok heat oil. Once oil is hot sauté garlic, ginger, and chilli flakes until really fragrant.
- Bring heat to really high then add the shrimps, stir fry until shrimps turn pink, roughly around 60 to 90 seconds. Remove everything from the wok place it in a plate then set it aside.
- Back to your wok, add more oil if needed then stir fry onions and pepper, cook for 2 minutes. Add the shrimps back then pour the sauce mixture you made on step 1, bring to a boil while stir frying to distribute the sauce evenly.
- Add the tomatoes and stir fry for 30 seconds.
- Add the basil and lime juice then stir fry for 15 more seconds. Remove from wok then place in a serving platter then serve.