Chinese Beef with Honey and Black Pepper Sauce is a Chinese dish made out of stir fried tender beef pieces in a sweet, salty and peppery hot sauce made out of honey and black pepper. One of the quick and easy Asian style dishes you can make at home in probably less than 15 minutes of cooking time.
- 500 g rump steak (or equivalent), sliced
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 3 tsp cornstarch
- 1 tbsp Chinese cooking wine
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 2–3 stalks spring onions, chopped white and green part separated
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 tbsp oil
- In a bowl combine together baking soda, cornstarch, Chinese cooking wine and soy sauce, mix well.
- Add the beef and using your hands mix it well to distribute the marinade evenly, set aside for 15 minutes.
- Combine all sauce ingredients in a bowl then set it aside.
- Place wok in a stove top and place in really high heat, once it starts to smoke add oil and swirl it around to coat the surface.
- Let it reach the oils smoking point then add the beef in single layer as possible, leave it there without mixing for 30 seconds to a minute until brown on one side. Turn to the other side and leave it again for another minute. Now start to stir fry, continue doing so for 2 minutes. Remove beef from the wok.
- Add the white part of the spring onions and garlic add oil if necessary, stir fry for a minute.
- Add the combined sauce then let it boil. Add the beef back to the wok and mix until sauce is evenly distributed. Cook for one more minute.
- Turn off heat, place in a serving platter garnished with the green part of spring onions.