Inutak is a type of layered rice cake similar to sapin sapin, consisting of two flavours first is purple yam on the base then topped by a coconut cream flavoured topping. It is first cooked on stove top then baked or broiled to complete the cooking process at the same time give that spotted brown topping.
- In a mixing bowl combine together glutinous rice flour, sugar, salt and coconut milk. Mix it well until free of lumps.
- Divide into two equal portions.
- On one portion mix the purple yam powder and add purple food colour to achieve a deep purple colour.
- In two separate non-stick pans, pour both mixtures. Cook while continuously mixing until very thick in consistency, oily and smooth.
- Pour purple mixture first in a banana leaf lined baking pan (I used a 7 in square baking pan), then the white mixture. Press to flatten and even out.
- Pour coconut cream on top then bake in a 180C preheated oven for 15 minutes then bring heat up to 230C set to grill or broil mode then cook until top is golden brown.
- Let it cool then serve with vanilla or ube ice cream on top.