Bulalo is a beef shank soup dish that is very popular in the Philippines, definitely one of the best comfort dishes out there as this is usually served during cold and wet days, to people who are sick, moms who breast feeds, at 2am in the morning after a drinking spree as well as a hangover cure. A dish so popular restaurants called bulaluhan specialize in it.
So what specifically is this dish? It’s basically large chunks of beef leg bones with meat intact boiled with onions, peppercorn and sometimes corn for a long period of time making the collagen really tender and meat that almost fall out of the bone. But that’s not all, the most prized aspect of this dish is the bone marrow the fatty insides in the centre of that leg bone.
If you can imagine it’s quite a fatty meal hence it’s not recommended for daily consumption as the cholesterol levels of this dish may exceed the fanciest burger you can find but once in a while it won’t hurt you. Usually this dish is served with rice and some fish sauce but today instead of rice we will use fine egg noodles and here is the result.
- 2 beef leg bones, cut into 3-4 pcs each
- 1.5 kg beef shanks
- 1 tbsp black peppercorns
- 2 large red onions, quartered
- 2 pcs large corn, cut into 5 pieces per corn
- 5 stalks spring onions, chopped
- leafy vegetables like bok choy or cabbage
- sea salt and/or fish sauce
- fine egg noodles
- spring onions, chopped
- crispy fried shallots
- Place beef bones on a deep pot together with onions and peppercorns.
- Add water until bones are entirely covered.
- Bring to a boil and simmer for 2.5 hours, set it aside and keep it cool once cooled down remove the bones and set it aside. Using a sieve strain the broth and place it in a large bowl, place it on the fridge until the oil rises to the top and hardens, now you can easily separate it out then throw it away, you will not be using this unhealthy fat.
- Place beef shanks and cooked bones on a deep pot then the clear broth, bring this to a boil then simmer for 30 minutes, remove any scum that rises. Add corn then continue to simmer for an hour.
- Add your leafy vegetables and simmer for 3 minutes.
- Flavour with salt or fish sauce, season with freshly ground pepper.
- Cook noodles according to packet instructions then place in a noodle bowl, add some beef shanks as well as some vegetables. Pour some soup into the bowl then garnish it with chopped spring onion and crispy fried shallots. Serve.