Chocolate Cupcakes with Coffee Buttercream
Do you love coffee? You so love it, you have it at least three times a day and feel it is still not enough? Why not match it with some coffee infused cupcakes to get more dosage of that caffeine your body is dying to have. This recipe we have for today definitely will give that fix you need.
Chocolate Cupcakes with Coffee Buttercream Frosting is a chocolate cupcake flavoured with espresso then topped with even more espresso infused into the buttercream frosting. From the description alone these treats are double infused with brewed coffee as well as instant coffee so giving you the most in terms of coffee flavour you are after. To make this mini cakes amazing, choosing the right coffee was the key and you need to make sure that you are only using the best quality beans as well as the best quality instant coffee to ensure the best coffee taste you need. Having said that the coffee makers also make a big difference, it’s like choosing your barista, they are not equal. Some coffee makers are not good enough but there are some who makes great brews. don’t worry you don’t need an expensive coffee maker to achieve that in fact some budget coffee makers can give you the same results. Having all those in mind will ensure you have a great coffee cupcake result.
Do you have another coffee fix tip apart from a cup of espresso? If yes do share it here.
- 1⅓ cups flour
- ⅓ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ cup full cream milk
- ½ cup strong brewed coffee, room temperature
- 2 tsp instant coffee
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ cup butter, softened
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 egg
- Combine flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a mixing bowl.
- In a large measuring cup mix together strong brewed coffee and instant coffee, mix until instant coffee is totally dissolved then add milk and vanilla, set aside.
- Using a hand mixer combine butter and sugar until fluffy. Add the eggs and continue to beat until combined. Slowly add a bit of the flour mixture and a bit coffee/milk mixture in an alternating manner while slowly beating until everything is well combined.
- Place in a muffin pan lined with cupcake liners and bake in a 180C preheated oven for 20 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the centre of a cupcake comes out clean.
- Remove from oven, let it cool before applying the frosting.
- Combine vanilla and instant coffee together, mix until dissolved then set it aside.
- Using a hand mixer whip butter on high speed for 4-5 minutes, add the confectioners’ sugar ½ cup at a time and continue to beat this time in low speed. Whip until fluffy and light in colour.
- Add the vanilla coffee mixture and continue to whip until frosting is even in consistency and colour.
- Place frosting on a piping bag and pipe over to your cupcake, sprinkle some chocolate shavings on top.