Chocolate Cupcakes with Coffee Buttercream Frosting is a chocolate cupcake flavoured with espresso then topped with even more espresso infused into the buttercream frosting.
- 1 1/3 cups flour
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup full cream milk
- 1/2 cup strong brewed coffee, room temperature
- 2 tsp instant coffee
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 egg
Coffee Buttercream Frosting
- Combine flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a mixing bowl.
- In a large measuring cup mix together strong brewed coffee and instant coffee, mix until instant coffee is totally dissolved then add milk and vanilla, set aside.
- Using a hand mixer combine butter and sugar until fluffy. Add the eggs and continue to beat until combined. Slowly add a bit of the flour mixture and a bit coffee/milk mixture in an alternating manner while slowly beating until everything is well combined.
- Place in a muffin pan lined with cupcake liners and bake in a 180C preheated oven for 20 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the centre of a cupcake comes out clean.
- Remove from oven, let it cool before applying the frosting.
- Combine vanilla and instant coffee together, mix until dissolved then set it aside.
- Using a hand mixer whip butter on high speed for 4-5 minutes, add the confectioners’ sugar 1/2 cup at a time and continue to beat this time in low speed. Whip until fluffy and light in colour.
- Add the vanilla coffee mixture and continue to whip until frosting is even in consistency and colour.
- Place frosting on a piping bag and pipe over to your cupcake, sprinkle some chocolate shavings on top.