- 15g porcini mushrooms, dried
- 25g ground flaxseed
- 50g red onion
- 2 cloves (10g total) garlic, fresh
- 50g leek, white part only
- 700g mushrooms, fresh
- 2 teaspoons (10ml) tamari
- 70g sunflower seeds
- 50g almond meal
- 50g pistachio nuts
- 50g walnuts
- 50g pecan nuts
- 50g parmesan cheese, grated
- 25g dried cranberries
- 10g parsley, fresh
- 2g sage, fresh
- 1g thyme, fresh
- 3 teaspoons (5g) Italian dried herbs
- ½ teaspoon (3g) sea salt
- 1 teaspoon (2g) black pepper
- 1 tablespoon (20ml) coconut oil
- 185ml water
- 1 tablespoon (20ml) olive oil spray
- 200g cranberries, fresh or frozen
- 3 tablespoons sugar substitute of choice or xylitol (48g)
- 1 teaspoon (2g) orange zest
- 2 tablespoons (40ml) orange juice, freshly squeezed
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/gas mark 4. Grease a terrine or loaf tin well with the coconut oil.
- Cover the porcini mushrooms with water and soak for about 30 minutes.
- Pulse the onion, leek and garlic in a food processor and lightly fry in a non-stick fry pan for about 3 minutes.
- Pulse or chop the fresh mushrooms until diced and add to the pan.
- Retain some sage leaves for garnish then pulse or chop the remaining fresh herbs, add to the pan with the tamari and cook until softened. Remove from the heat.
- Pulse or chop all the nuts, seeds and cranberries, then add to the mix with the cheese and dried herbs.
- Drain the porcini mushrooms, discard the water then chop or pulse briefly and add to the mix with the flaxseed, almond meal, water, salt and pepper, mixing well.
- In a small saucepan heat the cranberries, orange juice and zest, and the sugar substitute until the juices flow. Place half the cranberry sauce into the prepared terrine and top with the nut mix, press down evenly. Bake in the oven for about 40 minutes. Turn onto a platter and garnish the top with the remaining cranberry sauce and scatter with the sage leaves.
Recipe from the new cook book: carbs by numbers low carb recipe options ─ Christmas
by Sandra Dunbar and Meg Pell
Available from all good bookstores (softback); Kobo, Amazon and iTunes (eBook) and at www.carbsbynumbers.com
- Serving Size: 41g
- Calories: 499.8cal
- Sugar: 9.5g
- Sodium: 445.3mg
- Fat: 38g
- Saturated Fat: 7.4g
- Carbohydrates: 11.9g
- Fiber: 9.6g
- Protein: 18g
- Cholesterol: 7.3mg