Onion straws, Onion strings, Crispy onion straws or French fried onions are deep fried coated onions commonly served as an appetizer, side dish or as a garnish. A distant relative to the onion rings but instead of a thick batter and round shapes this thinly sliced onions are lightly coated with corn flour.
- 2 brown onions, halved and thinly sliced
- ice cold water
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- freshly ground black pepper
- oil, for deep frying
- In a bowl soak the onions in enough ice cold water for 10 minutes.
- Prepare a deep fryer and set it to 185C.
- Drain onions and pat them dry with thick paper towels.
- Place onions in a container you can cover.
- Add the cornstarch, garlic powder, salt and freshly ground black pepper. Cover the container then give it a good shake to coat the onions.
- Open container then individually add onions stings into the hot oil to deep fry them. Do not over crowd the deep fryer and do this in batches. Once onions turn light golden brown remove it from the oil and place it in a paper towel lined plate to remove excess oil, let it cool and crisp before serving.
The onions will continue to brown during the cooling process so do not cook it until it’s brown otherwise it will be black in colour.