Carne Guisada is a beef dish slowly braised on tomato based sauce spiced with cumin, chili powder and jalapenos. Usually this is served with Mexican rice, beans, salad and/or tortillas.
- 1 kg beef brisket or any stewing beef, cubed
- 1 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 1/2 cup tomato paste
- 3 cups beef stock
- 1 medium green bell pepper, diced
- 1 large jalapeno, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 2 pcs bay leaves
- 1 onion, diced
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- freshly ground black pepper
- Season beef with salt and pepper then in a large skillet add oil and brown beef on all sides. Set it aside.
- In a pot add oil then sauté garlic and onions.
- Add the bell pepper and jalapeno then continue to sauté for 2 more minutes.
- Add cumin, chili powder, oregano then cook further for one more minute.
- Add the beef together with the bay leaves, chopped tomatoes and beef stock, bring to a boil then let it simmer in low heat for 1 1/2 hrs. Check liquid levels once in a while and top of with water if it dries out.
- Add the tomato paste then continue to simmer for 30 more minutes or until beef is really fork tender.
- Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper then serve with fresh flour tortillas and rice.