Lamb and Fennel Meat Sauce
Lamb is not a typical protein source for Filipinos, our main meats back home are pork, beef, chicken and seafood hence don’t be surprised if you invited a Filipino to a dinner where you prepared some lamb and they will not even go near them. For us it tastes gamey because we are not used to it, like me the first time I had them I really disliked it but as I tried to have more of it I started to learn and even discover what other ingredients that will perfectly match this meat removing that taste we are not used to.
That is why you also see fewer lamb dishes in this blog but if you see one it would be more suited to the Filipino palate as I use ingredients to remove that taste Filipinos dislike. I notice red wine as well as mint and garlic does a good job in masking that taste but recently I found out that fennel also makes lamb palatable to the Filipino taste so for today we are making a meat sauce out of it. Try it and let me know what your thoughts are?
By the way before you head over to the recipe do you know that Ang Sarap and Tuttle Publishing is giving away 2 books which contains this recipe book The Complete Book of Sushi Giveaway plus your choice of one books (worth US$25.00 and below) from the Tuttle Publishing range Competition is open for 2 weeks and we accept entries worldwide, just fill in your details on this competition page to join.
What are you waiting for, join now to win this amazing recipe book plus a book of your choice!
- 600g minced lamb
- 1 large fennel bulb, chopped
- 2 x 400g cans Italian style chopped tomatoes
- 1 tbsp finely chopped rosemary
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1 medium white onion, chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- freshly ground black pepper
- olive oil
- In a sauce pan add olive oil then sauté garlic, onions and celery.
- Add the minced lamb and cook until brown.
- Add the fennel bulb, rosemary and chopped tomatoes, bring to a boil then simmer while covered for 15 minutes or until sauce is thick.
- Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper then serve with your favourite pasta.