Kale, White Bean, and Butternut Squash Soup
Before you start reading this article I would love to announce that Ang Sarap is nominated at Bloggys 2015, the Philippines’ premiere blog awarding event.
Who does not want to win the blog of the year?
So if you want Ang Sarap to win this voting is now open, just choose angsarap.net, what are you waiting for cast your vote here.
Another freestyle recipe again for today after my colleague gave me this bunch of lovely kale. For me Kale is quite hard to utilize as I never grew up with this vegetable add to the fact that its texture is quite unique. Having said that the texture of this vegetable also allowed me to use it in soups because it’s a good candidate for one, it’s tough and will not disintegrate easily even if it’s overcooked.
So what other vegetables can it pair with in a soup? Well what I had tried are some butternut squash and cannellini beans to have a variation in texture, I also added some red capsicum and bacon for flavour and the result is this amazing healthy and delicious soup we are posting now.
By the way before you head over to the recipe do you know that Ang Sarap and Tuttle Publishing is giving away 2 books which contains this recipe book Cafe Spice plus your choice of one books (worth US$25.00 and below) from the Tuttle Publishing range Competition is open for 2 weeks and we accept entries worldwide, just fill in your details on this competition page to join.
What are you waiting for, join now to win this amazing recipe book plus a book of your choice!
- ½ small butternut squash, cubed
- 1 bunch kale, ribs removed and chopped
- 1 small red capsicum / bell pepper, chopped
- 400g can cannellini beans, drained
- 4 strips bacon, chopped
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary and thyme
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1 onion, minced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- freshly ground black pepper
- In a soup pot add oil then fry bacon pieces until brown and crispy, set it aside.
- Add garlic, onion and celery then sauté until onions are soft.
- Add the butternut squash, kale and red capsicum, stir fry for 1 minute.
- Pour chicken stock, rosemary and thyme then put the bacon back, let it boil then simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add the cannellini beans simmer for 5 more minutes, season with salt and freshly ground black pepper then serve.