Asian Style Braised Ox Tail a recipe which was inspired after watching this episode from Gordon Ramsay’s Ultimate Home Cooking where he braised some Ox Tail and paired it with some satay style round beans. I can’t find any recipes published anywhere online so I will just recreate it to best of my knowledge.
- 2 kgs oxtails
- 4 cups beef stock
- 3 carrots, sliced
- 1 tbsp Fish Sauce
- 3 tbsp Soy Sauce
- 2 tbsp Oyster Sauce
- 2 tbsp Hoisin Sauce
- 1 tsp lemon rind, finely grated
- 3 tbsp brown sugar
- 4 pcs star anise
- 1 large knob fresh ginger, sliced
- 1 onion, roughly chopped
- 8 cloves garlic, minced
- red pepper flakes, for heat
- spring onions, chopped
- In skillet add oil then brown oxtails. Place oxtails in stock pot then set aside.
- In the same skillet sauté garlic and onions for 2 minutes or until onions are soft, add chillies and sauté for one more minute. Pour 1 cup of beef stock to deglaze then pour mixture in the stock pot with the oxtails.
- Place all remaining ingredients in the stock pot except for the carrots, pour enough water just to cover the oxtails then bring it to a boil. Once boiling lower heat then simmer for 2 hours. Check for water level once in a while and add if it’s needed.
- Add the carrots and simmer for one more hour or until oxtails are tender. Bring heat to high and try to reduce the liquid to a thick sauce, make sure you don’t reduce too much otherwise it will become salty.
- Remove oxtails from pot then serve garnished with spring onions.