Gluai Buad Chee or Bananas and Tapioca in Sweet Coconut Milk is a snack recipe made out of bananas and tapioca pearls in a sweet coconut cream, it came from the recipe book that we will be featuring today, Nong’s Thai Kitchen by Nongkran Daks. I chose this dish because I am quite intrigued whether it tasted similar to our Philippine ginataang halo halo as the preparation and all of the ingredients are similar.
- 6 ripe bananas, peeled and ends removed
- 4 tbsp sesame seeds
- 2 cups (500 ml) water
- One 13.5-oz (400 ml) can coconut milk
- 2/3 cup (160 g) granulated sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt (optional)
- 1/3 cup (65 g) small tapioca pears, rinsed in cold water and drained
- Slice bananas in half lengthwise. Cut each half into 4 slices to make a total of 48 pieces. Set aside.
- Heat and dry skillet over medium heat. When hot, add the sesame seeds. Toast, stirring constantly, until brown, 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Combine the water, coconut milk, sugar and salt, if using, in a 3-quart (3-liter) saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and cook, stirring constantly, until the sugar dissolves. Add the tapioca and bananas. Continue cooking for 5 to 7 minutes more, stirring occasionally until the tapioca pearls are clear and translucent.
- Remove from the heat. Spoon into individual dessert bowls and sprinkle about 1/2 teaspoon toasted sesame seeds on top before serving.