Ca Chien Sot Ca Chua is a Vietnamese style fried fish served in tangy tomato sauce, any fish can be used filleted or not but trust me it’s better not, and if you choose not filleted then I suggest eating it with rice without utensils.
- 1 large fish, scaled and gutted
- 2 large tomatoes, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 pcs shallots, chopped
- 1 tsp sugar
- fish sauce
- 1/2 cup water
- freshly ground black pepper
- In a wok heat up enough oil for frying the fish.
- Score fish on both sides then pat it dry, season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Fry fish until crispy on both sides.
- Place fish in a serving platter then set aside.
- Drain oil from wok leaving 2 tablespoons then sauté garlic and shallots, add tomatoes and water. Bring to a boil then simmer until tomatoes are soft and incorporated with the liquid, reduce to a thick sauce adding water if needed.
- Add a teaspoon of sugar then season with fish sauce. Turn heat off then pour sauce on top of fish, serve.