Cantonese Style Ginger Scallion Lobster
Cantonese Style Ginger Scallion Lobster is a classic Chinese stir fry made out of large chunks of lobster with shell on, deep fried then stir fried with scallions and ginger in a lightly seasoned sauce. Eating lobsters is not an everyday affair because where ever you go this seafood is quite expensive but there are days where the price drops and have the opportunity to grab several of these without selling your new born. Today is one of those days and I feel like it’s a panic buying mode as I want to grab as much as I can as long as it fits our freezer except that I never bought crazy amounts of these just several.
One of the simplest preparation for lobster is this simple stir fry, had a chance trying this recipe when I was in Hong Kong and today I will try to recreate that and this is how I made it.
- 2 lobsters, steamed
- ½ cup cornstarch
- freshly ground black pepper
- oil, for deep frying
- 1 thumb sized ginger, peeled and sliced into fine matchsticks
- 1 bunch spring onions, sliced
- 1 dozen yellow chives, sliced
- ¼ cup Chinese cooking wine
- ½ cup Chicken broth
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- white pepper
- Twist of head and tails, clean and rinse then using a cleaver split tails lengthwise and cut further into 3 to 4 pieces. Also cut claws exposing the meat inside place in a big bowl then set it aside. Reserve the head for garnishing.
- Season lobster with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Put cornstarch on the bowl then toss to coat lobsters evenly.
- Deep fry in a prepared wok with hot oil (190C) for 2 minutes, nothing more. Remove from wok then place in a colander to drain off excess oil.
- In a bowl combine together cooking wine, soy sauce and corn starch, mix well to combine then add and stir in the chicken stock. Set it aside.
- In the same wok used to fry lobsters drain the oil leaving 2 tablespoons, turn heat to high then sauté ginger, scallions and yellow chives.
- Add the lobster then the chicken stock mixture prepared earlier. Continue to stir fry in high heat until sauce is thick and lobsters are covered with the sauce.
- Remove from wok, place in a serving platter then serve garnished with lobster head on top.