Key lime pie is an American dessert made out of citrusy custard on a crusty pie shell topped with meringue. The custard traditionally is made out of egg yolks, condensed milk and key limes. Key lime pie was created by a botanist named Jack Simons during the early 20th century in the Key West, Florida but its first formal mention as a recipe was from a ship salvager named William Curry, he was also known as Key West’s first millionaire.
- Place crackers or biscuits in a food processor and process to make crumbs.
- Remove biscuits in the process then place in a 9in pie pan, mix with melted butter and press mixture to the base as well as the side to stick and combine.
- Bake in a 180C for 10 minutes, remove from oven then let it cool.
- In a mixing bowl whisk egg yolks, add condensed milk then continue to whisk for 3 minutes.
- Add lime zest and juice and whisk again for 3 minutes.
- Pour egg and milk mixture into the base then put back into the oven and bake for 15 minutes at 180C.
- Remove pie from oven, carefully remove it from the pie pan then let it cool and place in the refrigerator to chill.
- Once chilled, whip together cream and icing sugar then dollop on top of pie, drizzle finely grated lime zest then serve.