Puto may be an obscene word in other languages but in Philippines it’s a term for these innocent looking cute little steamed cake served as is, topped with cheese, topped with salted duck eggs or both. It can be served with butter or grated fresh coconut on the side and can be enjoyed anytime of the day.
Usually these types of treats are served during merienda (snack time) or even paired with a main dish like dinuguan(pork blood stew) and pancit (Filipino stir fried noodles). There are a lot of variations of this steamed cake and every province in the Philippines will have their own specialty here are the popular ones to name some.
- Puto Bumbong – found almost anywhere specially during Christmas it is made out of a purple glutinous rice flour called Pirurutong, cooked in bamboo tubes.
- Puto Calasiao – found in Pangasinan this puto is small in size, sweet and sticky.
- Puto Lanson – found in Iloilo it made of grated cassava
- Puto Manapla – found in Bacolod this puto is cooked using banana leaves as its lining
- Puto Mamon – a cross between mamon and puto, its light and airy.
- Puto Maya – found in Cebu this puto is made out of purple glutinous rice called tapol, coconut milk and ginger.
- Puto Pao – a cross between siopao and puto
For this post we will not me making any of the above specialties as that will be reserved for later posts, we will be making the most basic ones instead. This recipe I guess is one of the most common ones at it’s easy to make and you don’t need some special rice flour to make, all-purpose flour is the only flour we need. For this recipe you make them plain or you can have several topping like salted duck egg or slices of cheese.
- Beat eggs whites using a hand mixer until really fluffy,
- Mix all dry ingredients in a bowl, set aside. Add egg yolks and all remaining wet ingredients. Mix until even in consistency.
- Fold in the flour mixture into the beaten egg whites and once even in consistency pour into lightly greased moulds (i.e. ramekin, muffin pan or puto moulds) ⅔ full. If using salted duck eggs place them on top.
- Place in steamer and steam for 20-30 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean. Time will depend on how big your put is.
- Place slices of cheese on top right after the puto is cooked.