Beef and Vegetable Stir Fry in Peanut Sauce is a simple stir fry dish made out of beef and mixed vegetables but instead of the usual sauces used on stir fries like soy sauce, fish sauce, sesame oil and sweet chilli sauce we will be using some peanuts in the form of peanut butter along with some orange juice giving the humble stir fry a different dimension in flavour.
- 500 g sirloin or tenderloin beef, thinly sliced
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 2 tbsp Chinese cooking wine
- freshly ground black pepper
- Combine peanut butter, orange juice, soy sauce, Chinese cooking wine, beef stock and sugar in a bowl, mix well until smooth and free of lumps. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl combine salt, baking soda and beef. Set it aside.
- In another bowl combine Chinese cooking wine and cornstarch, mix well then add the beef making sure it’s all coated with the cornstarch mixture.
- Prepare a wok and turn heat to the highest setting one wok starts smoking, add roughly around 2 tbsp of oil and let the wok smoke again.
- Add the beef (a few at a time if your wok is small and if you don’t have enough heat), then stir fry in high heat for 3-4 minutes or until brown in colour. Remove from wok then set it aside.
- Add oil in the same wok if needed then sauté garlic and onions.
- Add carrots and Savoy cabbage then stir fry for 2 minutes.
- Add the beef back, stir fry for one more minute.
- Pour the sauce, bring it to a boil then give it a good mix to distribute the sauce evenly then continue to stir fry for 2 more minutes.
- Remove from wok then serve with chopped peanuts on top.