Picadillo is a dish made with minced meat (pork or beef), tomatoes and other ingredients like onions, corn, carrots, peas, potatoes, beans, raisins and capers. Popular in countries with Spanish influence like Mexico, Cuba, Puerto Rico and the Philippines.
- 700 g minced beef
- 1 cup green peas
- 1 large carrots, chopped into small cubes
- 1 large potato, chopped into small cubes
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 2 dozen hard boiled quail eggs, shelled
- 4 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 cup beef stock
- 2 large tomatoes, chopped
- 1 tsp dried sweet basil
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- fish sauce
- freshly ground black pepper
- olive oil
- In a pot, sauté onion, garlic and tomatoes in olive oil.
- Add minced beef and cook until it turns light brown.
- Add tomato paste, beef stock, dried sweet basil and bring to a boil then simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add carrots, peas, potatoes, raisins and dried oregano. Simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add the quail eggs then season with freshly ground black pepper and salt.