Khao soi or khao soy is a Thai noodle soup dish where egg noodles, pickled cabbage, shallots, lime, ground chillies are served in a massaman curry style broth topped with fried noodles. Meats can then be added like chicken, beef and sometimes curdled blood.
Khao Soi Paste
- 4 large dried red chillies, halved and seeded
- 2 medium shallots, halved
- 8 cloves garlic cloves
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro stems
- 1 tbsp ground coriander
- 1 tbsp ground turmeric
- 1 tsp curry powder
- thumb sized ginger, peeled and sliced
- 500 g Chinese egg noodles
- 700 g chicken thighs fillets, sliced into bite sized pieces
- 2 400 ml cans coconut milk
- 2 cups chicken stock
- fish sauce
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- sea salt
- red onion, sliced
- bean sprouts
- crispy fried onions
- chili oil
- lime wedges
- Place chillies in a small bowl, add boiling water to rehydrate. Set it aside for 30 minutes.
- Drain chillies reserving the liquid.
- Place chillies, shallots, garlic, ginger, cilantro stems, coriander, turmeric, curry powder and 2 tbsp of soaking liquid in a food processor, process until it becomes a paste, add more of the soaking liquid if needed.
- In a large pot add oil then sauté the spice paste until slightly darkened and fragrant.
- Add the coconut milk and chicken stock then bring it to a boil.
- Add chicken and simmer for 25 minutes or until chicken is tender. Set aside the chicken then flake the meat. Add chicken and sugar then season with fish sauce.
- Cook egg noodles according to packet instructions.
- Place noodles in bowls ladle some hot soup with chicken and top with garnishes.