Chicken Khao Soi
Khao soi or khao soy is a Thai noodle soup dish where egg noodles, pickled cabbage, shallots, lime, ground chillies are served in a massaman curry style broth topped with fried noodles. Meats can then be added like chicken, beef and sometimes curdled blood. There are two variations of this dish and both are quite different to each other. The Lao version uses wide rice noodles, pork, tomatoes, fermented soy beans, chillies, pork rind, bean sprouts while the Thai ones uses egg noodles, chicken or beef and a totally different set of accompanying ingredients.
We all know that Khao soi came from Thailand but its origins can be traced back to the Hui people who followed the Mongols when they invaded China in the 13th century. These ethnic group lived in China as farmers and in the late 1800’s they migrated to Burma and Laos due to some political upheaval in China. Later on they moved in northern Thailand and settled in there bringing their culture with them together with a rich cuisine where this dish was included and evolved using local ingredients.
Khao soi is translated to English means cut rice referring to the process of making ground rice and other ingredients mixed into dough, rolled out in a thin sheet and cut into the noodles. It was the main ingredient of the original recipe which was then combined with pork but since this meat was not Halal the Muslims introduced the use of either chicken or beef.
- 4 large dried red chillies, halved and seeded
- 2 medium shallots, halved
- 8 cloves garlic cloves
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro stems
- 1 tbsp ground coriander
- 1 tbsp ground turmeric
- 1 tsp curry powder
- thumb sized ginger, peeled and sliced
- 500 g Chinese egg noodles
- 700 g chicken thighs fillets, sliced into bite sized pieces
- 2 400 ml cans coconut milk
- 2 cups chicken stock
- fish sauce
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- sea salt
- red onion, sliced
- bean sprouts
- crispy fried onions
- chili oil
- lime wedges
- Place chillies in a small bowl, add boiling water to rehydrate. Set it aside for 30 minutes.
- Drain chillies reserving the liquid.
- Place chillies, shallots, garlic, ginger, cilantro stems, coriander, turmeric, curry powder and 2 tbsp of soaking liquid in a food processor, process until it becomes a paste, add more of the soaking liquid if needed.
- In a large pot add oil then sauté the spice paste until slightly darkened and fragrant.
- Add the coconut milk and chicken stock then bring it to a boil.
- Add chicken and simmer for 25 minutes or until chicken is tender. Set aside the chicken then flake the meat. Add chicken and sugar then season with fish sauce.
- Cook egg noodles according to packet instructions.
- Place noodles in bowls ladle some hot soup with chicken and top with garnishes.