The first time I tried this Grilled Cheese Prawns was in Manhattan Fish Market in Malaysia, they call it Manhattan Flaming Prawns and boy they are amazing, it was love at first sight. It is a simple concoction of prawns where shells are sliced in the middle back side served with cheese melted in front of you using blow torch.
- 16 pcs large prawns, shell on
- 1 cup grated mozzarella cheese
- freshly ground black pepper
- chopped parsley
- Melt butter in saucepan under low heat then add flour, salt, cayenne pepper and dry mustard. Mix well until blended.
- Gradually pour milk while constantly stirring, cook until thickened.
- Add the cheese and continue to cook until it melts and texture is smooth. Set aside.
- Butterfly cut the prawns with skin on, remove any veins then arrange in a baking tray.
- Pour cheese sauce on prawns leaving the heads exposed, sprinkle the mozzarella cheese and season with freshly ground black pepper, place on the top most part of a 230C preheated oven. Using the grill setting cook prawns for 5-8 minutes (depending on the prawn size) or until prawns are cooked and cheese is bubbly and golden brown.
- Remove from oven, garnish with chopped parsley then serve while hot.