This Cabbage and Squid Stir Fry does not take a lot of time preparing once it hits the hot wok it will not take more than 10 minutes to cook, definitely it will cook faster than your steamed rice on a rice cooker.
- 3 large squid tubes (roughly 15cm in length), sliced
- 1/3 head savoy cabbage, chopped
- 5 pcs dried shiitake mushrooms, rehydrated in 1 cup of hot water and sliced
- 3 pcs dried red chillies, chopped
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 3 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 2 tbsp mirin
- 2 shallots, minced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp minced ginger
- toasted sesame seeds
- Season squid with salt. Set aside.
- Combine mushroom liquid, soy sauce, sugar, cornstarch and mirin, set aside.
- In a wok add oil then stir fry squid in high heat for 2 minutes or until its cooked. Remove the squid from wok then set aside
- Bring heat to medium then add the garlic, ginger and shallots, then sauté for a minute.
- Add mushrooms and chillies then stir fry for 2 minutes.
- Bring heat back to high then add the cabbage then stir fry for 3 minutes.
- Pour the mixed liquid and bring it to a boil and let the sauce thicken this will take around 2 minutes, add the cooked squid and mix to combine. Turn heat off.
- Season with if needed then serve garnished with toasted sesame seeds.
So how much squid by weight do you think you use? In CALIF. where I live, small squids are an ounce or two each and the large Humbolt Squids are about 15 pounds each. So, “…three large squid tubes…” leaves a lot to the imagination. Mentally, I said about 1 pound. Correct?
Thanks for the post. It sounds very tasty.
Hi James, sorry I never thought of that anyways the squid I used was roughly 15cm long (6 inch). Hopefully this helps, will weigh them in the future 🙂
i had a medical background but heck i’m gonna said it anyway,
awfully unscientific but my family trus that cabbage is “cold” and squid or any seafood is also “cold” so it’s better be mixed the cabbage with something “hot” like red meat; beef, lamb etc…..
hence you’ll gonna had a healthy future afterward, lol
Love cabbage in a stir-fry, but haven’t combined it with squid. Really interesting idea! Love it — thanks.
Haven’t tried cabbage and squid combo but can see that it would work – love the sound of this Raymund.
This dish looks just like heaven! So delicious! I wish that cooking was one of the things that I love to do! 😀