Nasi Goreng Daging
Nasi Goreng Daging or Beef Fried Rice is one of my go to comfort food way back in Malaysia, it’s not just comforting but it’s an all in one dish where you have your carbs, protein and sometimes vegetables sorted. Beef is not the only variant of Nasi Goreng in fact any meat can be used in this dish and the popular ones are Dried Fish (Ikan Bilis), Chicken (Ayam), Chinese (Cina) and Mixed Seafood. This dish is very popular in Malaysia, Singapore and in Indonesia that is why you will see this everywhere from hawker stall and even in upscale restaurants. Indonesia by the way considers this as their National Dish.
So what makes a Nasi Goreng? Well the base ingredients used in making one is pre-cooked rice, soy sauce, garlic, onions, spring onions and red chillies and like any other Asian fried rice variants pre-cooked cold rice is the most vital ingredient, I guess you know now why.
So if you have some leftover rice and a few beef strips try this recipe, one already one step away in making a really simple meal.
- 5 cups cooked long grain rice, use leftovers
- 2 cups beef tenderloin strips, marinated in salt and pepper
- 2 tsp sambal oelek
- 1 tsp belachan
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- 3 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 stalks spring onions, chopped
- 2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 carrot, diced
- ½ cup frozen green peas
- 1 cup frozen corn
- sliced cucumbers
- sliced tomatoes
- fried garlic and/or fried onions
- fried eggs, sunny side up
- tomato ketchup
- Place the leftover rice in a refrigerator and keep it cold, once ready fluff it by separating it by hand or by fork. Set aside.
- Using a wok add oil and put on high heat. Place beef and quickly stir fry, once brown in colour remove then set aside.
- Using the same wok place garlic and onion, cook until onions become translucent then add sambal oelek, belachan and cayenne pepper. Stir fry until fragrant.
- Add the rice, carrots and soy sauce, mix well until the colour of the rice is even.
- Add the beef, corn and peas, mix well until evenly distributed.
- Top with spring onions, fried garlic and serve with fried eggs, sliced cucumbers, sliced tomatoes and tomato ketchup.