Utan or Utan Bisaya is a vegetable soup dish popular in the Visayan region, commonly it consists different vegetables like malunggay leaves, okra, squash, taro, vine spinach (alugbati), eggplants, snake beans (sitaw), ginger and tomatoes cooked together with either pork, fish or shrimps.
- 1 large bunch spinach
- 1/2 small butternut squash
- 200 g okra, sliced
- 250 g fatty minced pork
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp minced ginger
- fish sauce
- freshly ground black pepper
- In a pot add oil then sauté garlic, ginger and onions.
- Add the pork mince and cook until brown in colour.
- Add the chicken stock then bring to a boil, simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add the squash cook for 3 minutes.
- Add the okra and cook for 3 more minutes.
- Season with fish sauce and freshly ground black pepper add the spinach then simmer for one more minute, turn heat off then cover. Let spinach cook in residual heat for 2 minutes then serve.