Kalingking is a native delicacy from the Bicol region and it is made out of pan fried battered sliced sweet potatoes. My mom and my grandparents are from Bicol so this gets cooked a lot at home when I was a child and served during merienda.
- 2 large yellow sweet potatoes, peeled and sliced into thick matchsticks
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 cup milk
- 2 eggs
- pinch of salt
- In a bowl combine together flour, baking powder, milk, salt and egg. Mix well until smooth.
- Add the sweet potatoes.
- Heat oil in a pan then arrange a clump of sweet potatoes, gently place it in the hot oil and flatten it with a spatula. Do it with the remaining sweet potato mixture but do not overcrowd.
- Turn heat to low then fry until golden brown in colour.
- Place in a paper towel lined plate prior to serving to remove excess oil.
- Sprinkle sugar on top before serving.