Fish fingers or fish sticks are long thin pieces of fresh or processed fish that has been breaded or battered. Fishes commonly used are cod, haddock, Pollock or any white flesh fish. Preparing this can be either though baking, grilling, or frying.
- 500 g cod fillet, sliced into long finger sizes
- 1 1/3 cup flour
- 1 cup cornstarch
- 2 tsp baking powder
- egg whites from 2 large eggs
- 275 ml ice-cold sparkling water
- freshly ground black pepper
- oil, for deep frying
- Pat dry cod fillets with paper towels then place them in a dry flat surface, season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Lightly coat fish with the 1/3 cup of flour, this helps to absorb any excess liquid.
- In a bowl beat egg whites until fluffy but not stiff.
- In a bowl sift together the remaining flour, cornstarch, baking powder, salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Add the ice-cold sparkling water and mix, do not mix it well it should be still lumpy.
- Add the egg whites by lightly mixing it together.
- Dip each slice of fish into the batter then deep fry in a 200C pre heated deep fryer in small batches for 4-5 minutes.
- Serve while hot with tartare, sweet chilli or ketchup.