Mohinga is a very popular rice noodle and fish curry soup in Myanmar, considered by lots as their national dish this street food is readily available anytime and everywhere even though it is a breakfast item. Mohinga is primarily made out of rice noodles in a thick broth made out of chickpea flour, crushed toasted rice, banana tree stem, spices and catfish but any similar fish can be used.
- 1 catfish or anything similar (I used 1 large snapper including the head)
- 1 stalk lemongrass, lightly pounded
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 2 litres water
- 3 stalks lemongrass, white part only roughly sliced
- 4 pcs dried chillies
- 4 shallots
- 6 cloves garlic
- 1/2 thumb sized ginger, peeled
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 4 tbsp oil
- 500 g rice vermicelli noodles, cooked according to packet instructions
- 3 tbsp cooked chickpeas, crushed
- 1/2 cup toasted rice flour
- 1/2 cup dried banana blossoms
- 4 pcs string beans, sliced and blanched
- 4 hardboiled eggs, sliced
- 2 tsp belachan
- 1 tsp sweet paprika
- 1 small red onion, finely sliced
- 1 stalk lemongrass, white part only finely sliced
- 1 tbsp ginger paste
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- fish sauce
- freshly ground black pepper
- chopped coriander
- dried chilli flakes
- crispy fried shallots
- In a stock pot combine all soup ingredients and bring it to a boil, remove any scum that rises to the top then simmer for 15 minutes. Turn heat off then using a fine sieve strain and reserve the soup to another pot.
- Debone the cooked fish then set it aside.
- In a food processor combine all spice paste ingredients then process until it becomes a paste.
- In a pan add oil then sauté the spice paste until really fragrant.
- Add the red onion, lemongrass, ginger paste and garlic, continue to sauté in low heat for 5 minutes or until onions are soft.
- Add the belachan and paprika then cook for 2 more minutes.
- Add the flaked fish, mix to cover it with the paste, cook for 5 more minutes so the fish absorbs the flavours. Turn off heat then set aside.
- Prepare the clear fish broth by adding the cooked chickpeas, rice flour, fish sauce, flaked fish and banana blossoms. Bring it to a boil then simmer in low heat for 30 minutes. Season with freshly ground black pepper and salt.
- Place cooked rice vermicelli in 4 bowls, pour soup over the noodles then top it with the hardboiled eggs, string beans then garnish it with chopped coriander, dried chilli flakes and crispy fried shallots.