Devilled crab is an oblong shaped deep fried breaded crab meat seasoned with chili peppers. Created in Tampa, Florida where it was credited to the Spanish, Cuban and Italian immigrant community of Ybor City when they created it during the late-1920s strike in the area’s cigar factories.
- 10 – 12 pcs empty small crab shells
- 500 g lump crab meat
- 1 cup bread crumbs
- 2 shallots, finely chopped
- 1/2 green capsicum, finely chopped
- 3 tbsp finely chopped celery
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp dry mustard
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp cayenne
- In a pan add oil then cook together onion, capsicum and celery in low heat until soft.
- In a bowl combine together cooked vegetables, crab meat, bread crumbs, eggs, dry mustard, Worcestershire sauce, cayenne and salt.
- Fill crab shells with mixture then set aside.
- Prepare a deep fryer, heat oil to 180C then deep fry the crab until golden brown and cooked, this will take around 5 minutes.
- Remove from fryer then place in paper towel lined plates, serve with Chilli Sauce, Sweet Chilli Sauce, Sweet Chilli Sauce and/or Mayonnaise.
Sweet Chilli Sauce