Devilled crab is an oblong shaped deep fried breaded crab meat seasoned with chili peppers. Created in Tampa, Florida where it was credited to the Spanish, Cuban and Italian immigrant community of Ybor City when they created it during the late-1920s strike in the area’s cigar factories.
- 10 – 12 pcs empty small crab shells
- 500 g lump crab meat
- 1 cup bread crumbs
- 2 shallots, finely chopped
- 1/2 green capsicum, finely chopped
- 3 tbsp finely chopped celery
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp dry mustard
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp cayenne
- In a pan add oil then cook together onion, capsicum and celery in low heat until soft.
- In a bowl combine together cooked vegetables, crab meat, bread crumbs, eggs, dry mustard, Worcestershire sauce, cayenne and salt.
- Fill crab shells with mixture then set aside.
- Prepare a deep fryer, heat oil to 180C then deep fry the crab until golden brown and cooked, this will take around 5 minutes.
- Remove from fryer then place in paper towel lined plates, serve with Chilli Sauce, Sweet Chilli Sauce, Sweet Chilli Sauce and/or Mayonnaise.
Sweet Chilli Sauce
These look good.
I’m not sure I could find a crab shell, but They would taste just as good without it.
Simply damn delicious devilled crabs!!!
my mom used to make it from freshly extracted crab meat instead the canned ones and it’s very2 homeylicious
Oh, if we could only get crab!
Raymund, these are so cute, I love that you used the crab shell…such an elegant crab cakes…
Hope you are having a great week 🙂
Deviled crab, stuffed crab, just crab – I’ll take it any way you want to serve it. You’ve just reminded me how long it’s been since I’ve had deviled crab. You’ve made me very hungry!
A wonderful seafood dish! The crab shell surely brought something elegant with this dish. This is a must try.