Spaghetti Mare e Monti
As the name suggest the flavours of this dish is a combination of ingredients from the mountains (monte) such as mushrooms and sea (mare) such as prawns. A classic Italian pasta dish that uses spaghetti but vermicelli or linguini can also be an option.
A very delicate dish that have strong earthy flavours from mushrooms with a hint of a delicate seafood flavour coming from shrimps. If you’re tired of the usual tomato or creamy sauce but love your pasta then this is for you as it neither uses both, instead it draws the flavours from a reduction of white wine and earthy mushrooms.
- 500 g spaghetti
- 20g dried porcini or 40g dried shiitake
- 200g farmers brown mushrooms or white button mushrooms
- 250g prawns, peeled and deveined
- 1½ cup hot water
- 50g butter
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 6 large tomatoes, peeled, seeded, and chopped
- 1 cup white wine
- freshly ground black pepper
- In a small bowl add dried mushrooms and hot water, cover and leave it for 30 minutes. Once hydrated, using a colander separate mushrooms and liquid together, chop the mushrooms finely and set aside.
- In a big pot boil water, add a ½ tsp salt then bring to a boil. Place pasta and cook for 8 minutes (Do not fully cook it as we will further process the pasta). Run noodles in tap water then drain.
- Prepare a boiling water, prick tomatoes with knife, then place tomatoes until covered well for around 30 seconds. Remove from hot water then peel tomatoes, remove seeds then roughly chop. Set aside.
- In a large frying pan melt butter in low-medium heat and add dried mushrooms and cook until golden brown in colour.
- Add brown mushrooms and garlic then cook for 4 minutes.
- Pour the liquid from the soaked mushrooms and add the bay leaf, bring to a boil and simmer until reduced. Once reduced put the heat to low.
- Now add wine and tomatoes then simmer for 8 minutes at this stage the liquid should be reduced.
- Now add the prawns and noodles, put heat on high, mix well and cook for 3 more minutes.
- Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.