As the name Spaghetti Mare e Monti suggests the flavours of this dish is a combination of ingredients from the mountains (monte) such as mushrooms and sea (mare) such as prawns. A classic Italian pasta dish that uses spaghetti but vermicelli or linguini can also be an option.
- In a small bowl add dried mushrooms and hot water, cover and leave it for 30 minutes. Once hydrated, using a colander separate mushrooms and liquid together, chop the mushrooms finely and set aside.
- In a big pot boil water, add a 1/2 tsp salt then bring to a boil. Place pasta and cook for 8 minutes (Do not fully cook it as we will further process the pasta). Run noodles in tap water then drain.
- Prepare a boiling water, prick tomatoes with knife, then place tomatoes until covered well for around 30 seconds. Remove from hot water then peel tomatoes, remove seeds then roughly chop. Set aside.
- In a large frying pan melt butter in low-medium heat and add dried mushrooms and cook until golden brown in colour.
- Add brown mushrooms and garlic then cook for 4 minutes.
- Pour the liquid from the soaked mushrooms and add the bay leaf, bring to a boil and simmer until reduced. Once reduced put the heat to low.
- Now add wine and tomatoes then simmer for 8 minutes at this stage the liquid should be reduced.
- Now add the prawns and noodles, put heat on high, mix well and cook for 3 more minutes.
- Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.