Sukiyaki is a Japanese winter stew dish consisting thinly sliced beef, tofu, vegetables like mushrooms and cabbage cooked in a mixture of soy sauce, sugar, and mirin which is prepared and served in the nabemono with eggs on the side that acts as a dip.
- 500 g sukiyaki beef
- 300 g or 1 large block firm tofu, diced
- 1/2 Napa cabbage, sliced
- 8 pcs shiitake mushrooms
- 1 200 g pack yam noodles (shirataki) or bean tread noodles
- 2 spring onions, chopped
- 1 cup dashi stock
- 1/2 cup mirin
- 1/2 cup sake
- 1/3 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 bunches chrysanthemum leaves (optional)
- 1 egg per person
- In a bowl combine dashi stock, mirin, sake, soy sauce and sugar.
- In a large metal deep pan add oil, turn heat to high. Once oil it hot place slices of Sukiyaki Beef and sear until light brown in colour (do not cook fully).
- Pour the combined sauce then add the tofu, Napa cabbage, shiitake mushrooms and spring onions.
- Bring it to a boil then add the chrysanthemum leaves if your using one.
- Simmer until all leaves wilt then serve while hot with raw eggs on the side used as a dipping sauce.