Sopa de Albondigas
Albondigas can be referred to as meatball as well as a Meatball Soup (Sopa de Albondigas) from Mexico, where meatballs made from a mixture of rice and minced beef is cooked in a tomato and beef broth based soup together with vegetables like celery, carrots and potatoes.
This dish have its roots dating back to the 13th century and originated from a similar Arabic dish. The said dish was imported to Spain during those days when the Iberian Peninsula was under the Muslim rule. Lots of dishes where introduced to Spain during this time and this was one of it. With the original recipe the meatballs were made with beef and lamb then sized like hazelnuts, and it’s where it got its name. Albondigas came from the word al-bunduq meaning “hazelnut” and this was how the meatballs were rolled during those days. After several years Spain developed the recipe further using peacock, pheasant, rabbit, chicken and pork as the meat, then it was then brought by the Spaniards to Mexico and the rest was history.
A very hearty delicious comfort soup that is why it is called the “Mexican soul food”, a full meal on its own or can be enjoyed with rice. For our recipe toady we will be giving it more soul by adding chorizo to our meatballs giving it more flavour and character.
Before you go ahead to the recipe why not join this week’s competition.
FoodieBox is giving away one FoodieBox delivered right at your doorstep (in New Zealand of course) all you need to do is fill the information at this page to join .
- 600 g ground beef
- 350 g chorizo, casing removed
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small carrot, finely chopped
- ½ cup cooked rice
- 1 tbsp cumin
- handful chopped cilantro
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1 large zucchini, sliced
- 4 stalks celery, sliced
- 2 medium potatoes, cubed
- 2 small carrots, sliced
- 1 litre beef stock
- 1 litre water
- 1 400 g can chopped tomatoes
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- chopped cilantro
- In a big bowl combine all meatball ingredients and mix thoroughly.
- Heat a pan with oil, form meat mixture into meatballs and pan fry meatballs until brown on all sides.
- In a pot add small amount of oil then sauté onions and celery until it sweats. Add the carrots and cook for a minute.
- Pour beef stock, water, chopped tomatoes, potatoes, cumin, oregano and cilantro. Bring it to a boil then simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add the meatballs then simmer for 10 more minutes.
- Add the zucchini and simmer for 5 more minutes.
- Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper then serve.