Huevos Rancheros is a popular breakfast dish in Mexico which consists of fried eggs and tomato chili sauce topped on lightly fried corn tortillas. Sometimes this breakfast is accompanied with refried beans, Mexican-style rice, and avocadoes. Other versions also do exist where cheese, sour cream and lettuce are added.
- 6 pcs 6 inch flour tortillas
- 6 large eggs
- 4 pcs small chorizos, sliced thinly
- 400 g kidney beans in can
- 400 g large can chopped tomatoes
- 2 fresh tomatoes, chopped
- 2 pcs jalapeno pepper, chopped
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 3 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- freshly ground pepper
- olive oil
- chopped cilantro, to garnish
- Lightly brush flour tortillas with olive oil then bake in a 180C fan forced pre heated oven for 10 minutes or until edges turn light brown, remove from oven and let it cool to crisp up.
- Cook your eggs sunny side up style. Set aside.
- In a pan add olive oil then sauté garlic and onions, cook until onions turn translucent.
- Add the chorizo and cook for 2 minutes or until fragrant.
- Add chopped tomatoes, fresh tomatoes, jalapeno pepper, cayenne pepper and ground cumin, let it boil and simmer in medium heat for 5 minutes.
- Add the kidney beans then season with salt and freshly ground pepper, simmer for 2 more minutes.
- Place tortillas in a plate, top it with egg, generously add cooked tomato mixture on top, garnish with crumbled feta cheese and chopped cilantro.