Red velvet cake is a cake known for its dark red vibrant colour traditionally topped with cream cheese or cooked roux icing. The colour of this cake usually comes from beetroot but modern version uses red food colouring.
- 2 cups flour
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 tsp of baking soda
- 1 tsp of baking powder
- 1 tsp of salt
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 tsp of vanilla extract
- red food colouring, adjust till you get a bright dark red colour
- 1 tsp white vinegar
- 1/2 cup espresso
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 250g cream cheese, cut into small cubes and softened
- 90g butter, cut into small cubes and softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 1 1/2 cup icing sugar mixture
- candy sprinkles
- In a big bowl sift together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
- In a separate bowl combine and mix together sugar and vegetable oil.
- Add the eggs, buttermilk, vanilla extract, espresso and white vinegar mix until well combined.
- Add the red food colouring and adjust until you get a deep red colour.
- Pour the wet mixture into the dry mixture a little at a time gently, mixing after each addition. Once wet ingredients are all combined with the dry ingredients mix it using a hand mixer in low speed until texture is smooth. Do not over mix the batter.
- Place and divide in a well-greased two 9 inch round cake pans and bake in a 170C preheated oven for 30-40 minutes or until a cake tester inserted in centre comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and let it cool then gently remove the cake out of the pans, be careful the cake is very fragile when warm due to its moist texture. Set aside and let it completely cool down before frosting.
- In a bowl combine all Cream Cheese Frosting ingredients together and using a hand mixer mix it until well combined and smooth in texture.
- Place one cake in a cake stand then top with cream cheese frosting, then place the other cake on top then cover everything with the remaining cream cheese frosting. Drizzle candy sprinkles on top and sides.
- Place in the refrigerator and let it chill for at least 4 hours before serving.