Meatball Pho is a Vietnamese noodle soup dish made out of rice noodles and meatballs served in a rich stock with bean sprouts, basil and lime.
- 400 g flat rice noodles
- 150 g minced fatty pork
- 500 g Asian Style beef meatballs
- 2 litres good quality beef stock
- 1/2 cup crispy fried shallots
- 3 tbsp crispy fried garlic
- 1 pc star anise
- 1 stick cinnamon
- 1 tbsp oyster sauce
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- fish sauce
- bean sprouts
- lime wedges
- chopped coriander
- crispy fried shallots
- Cook noodles according to packet instructions then set it aside. You might want to add a bit of oil to prevent noodles from sticking with each other
- In a pot add a small amount of oil then cook minced pork until the fat is rendered.
- Add all the remaining ingredients in a pot then bring it to a boil simmer for 20 minutes or until the meatballs are cooked.
- Place noodles in a bowl together with bean sprouts, ladle boiling soup into bowls and add around 6 pcs of the meatballs.
- Garnish with chopped coriander and crispy fried shallots then serve with lime wedges on the side.
You can make your own beef stock by boiling ox tails and beef bones in water with onions and black pepper.