For this post we will making the Crispy Chow Mein Noodles and unlike how usual noodles are prepared chow mien noodles deep fried making it crispy and stick together. The vegetables and meat are cooked separately and it accompanied with a very starchy sauce that is poured over the crispy noodled prior to serving.
- 400 g boneless chicken thighs, thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp Chinese cooking wine
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 bunches bok choy, cut in half
- 1 large carrot, sliced
- 8 pcs baby corn, cut in half
- 4 pcs dried shiitake mushrooms
- 10 pcs white button mushrooms, sliced
- 1 white onion, sliced
- 1 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- 2 tbsp oyster sauce
- 2 tbsp sesame oil
- 2 tsp sugar
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- 4 cloves garlic
- fish sauce
- white pepper
- 250 g fresh Chow Mein noodles
- In a bowl mix together Chinese cooking wine, soy sauce, cornstarch and salt. Add chicken slices and let it marinate for 15 minutes.
- Place shiitake mushrooms in mug then pour the boiling water, cover then set it aside until mushroom are rehydrated. Once rehydrated thinly slice mushrooms and reserve the liquid.
- In a wok add a good amount of oil to deep fry egg noodles. Bring to medium heat then deep fry noodles until crispy on both sides. Remove from wok then place on a paper towel lined plate to remove excess grease.
- Remove the oil from the wok leaving enough to stir fry the chicken. Place on high heat and once it’s near the smoking point stir fry chicken until cooked, this might take around 2-3 minutes. Set chicken aside.
- In a bowl combine chicken stock, liquid from rehydrated mushrooms, oyster sauce, sugar and cornstarch. Set this aside.
- Add more oil to the wok if needed then sauté garlic and onion.
- Add the shiitake and button mushrooms and stir fry for a minute.
- Add the carrots and baby corn and stir fry for a minute.
- Pour the chicken stock mixture then bring it to a boil, once it starts to get thick add the bok choy on top then the chicken then cover wok. Cook for 2 minutes in high heat.
- Add the sesame oil then season with fish sauce and white pepper. Turn heat off.
- Place noodles in a serving platter then top it with the stir fried vegetables with its sauce.