The first time I had this was in Malaysia, it was in a restaurant near my work. At first I was wondering what was that thing wrapped in leaves and a colleague told me that those are fried chicken wrapped in pandan leaves. I immediately ordered some and got hooked, first because it was a fried chicken and second is because of the pandan leaves that gives that distinct vanilla like aroma.
Pandan Chicken is a Thai Style where tender chicken pieces are wrapped and cooked in pandan leaves, usually served with a dipping sauce made out of lightly flavoured soy sauce or fish sauce. Making it here in New Zealand is quite challenging as I never had seen any fresh pandan leaves and the available ones are the frozen ones that are pre-cut. Having said that the size of the leaf from the frozen ones are only 4 to 5 inch in length making it impossible to wrap a chicken nibble so in this post we just roll it in two pieces of leaf and securing it with a skewer which gives it a similar result but different in presentation.
Before you head over to the recipe today don’t forget we are running a competition for a week and were giving away some Air Wick Prize pack, all you need to do is send your details through this page (Open only to New Zealand and Australian residents). Join Now!
- 800 g deboned chicken thigh cutlets, sliced into bite sized pieces
- 3 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp oyster sauce
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- pandan leaves
- short skewers
- ¼ cup water
- ¼ cup fish sauce
- ¼ cup sugar
- juice from half lemon
- 1 tbsp toasted sesame seeds
- In a bowl combine together soy sauce, oyster sauce, chili powder and garlic.
- Add the chicken, give it a good mix to coat it evenly then set it aside for 15 minutes.
- Get two pieces of pandan leaf then wrap chicken around, place in a skewer securing the pandan leaves. Place two wrapped chicken in one skewer. Do it with the remaining chicken.
- Prepare a wok, add oil and place in stove top with high heat. Once oil is hot enough fry chicken pieces for 4 minutes on each side or until cooked. Place cooked chicken in a serving platter.
- In a small bowl combine sauce ingredients, mix well then serve with pandan chicken.