Sup Tulang (Beef Bone Soup) is an aromatic beef soup flavoured with spices like coriander, cinnamon, chilli, onions and aniseed. A very similar dish to the Philippine Nilagang Baka (Boiled Beef) except for the spices used.
- 1 1/2 kg meaty beef neck bones
- 500 ml beef stock
- 800 ml water
- 1 large carrot, cubed
- 2 medium potatoes, cubed
- 1 stalk celery, sliced
- 1 large onion, quartered
- 2 medium tomatoes, sliced into wedges
- 1 thumb sized ginger, thinly sliced
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- 2 tbsp ground coriander
- 1 stick cinnamon
- 4 pcs cardamoms
- 1 pc star anise
- fish sauce
- freshly ground black pepper
- chopped celery leaves, to garnish
- In a pot add oil then sauté garlic, ginger and onions once fragrant add the cumin, coriander, cinnamon, cardamoms and star anise. Stir fry in medium heat for a minute.
- Bring heat to high then add the beef, continue to cook beef for 5 minutes.
- Add water, beef stock and a good amount of freshly ground black pepper then bring to a boil, simmer in low heat for 1 1/2 hrs.
- Add the potatoes and carrots then simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add the celery and tomatoes then simmer for another 10 minutes.
- Season with fish sauce, then serve while hot garnished with celery leaves.