Ginataang Manok is a chicken stewed in coconut milk together with green papaya and vegetable greens like chilli leaves and/or moringa leaves. Basically the process is like cooking tinola but instead of chicken stock or water coconut milk is used.
- 1 kg chicken legs and thighs,
- 1 medium sized green papaya, sliced
- 2 cups coconut milk
- 1 cup coconut cream
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 packet bok choy
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1 thumb sized ginger, julienned
- 2 pcs green finger chillies
- freshly ground black pepper
- fish sauce or sea salt
- In a pot add oil then sauté garlic, onion and ginger.
- Add the chicken and brown on all sides.
- Add the chicken stock and 1 cup of coconut milk then bring it to a boil. Simmer in low heat for 25 minutes.
- Add the remaining cup of coconut milk, long green chili and green papaya then simmer for 10 more minutes.
- Add the bok choy and coconut cream then simmer for 5 more minutes.
- Season with fish sauce and freshly ground black pepper then serve.