Brunswick stew is a thick tomato based stew popular in Southern USA, it contains lima beans, corn, potatoes, okra, other vegetables and meat. Meats used can be either pork or chicken but experts says authentic ones uses squirrel, opossum or rabbit meat.
- 700 g pulled pork shoulder
- 2 cups frozen corn kernels
- 2 cups frozen baby lima beans or edamame
- 2 potatoes, cubed
- 4 tbsp butter
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large white onion, finely chopped
- 2 400g chopped tomatoes with sauce in can
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 1 1/2 cups barbecue sauce
- 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- freshly ground black pepper
- In a large heavy pot melt butter then sauté garlic and onions, cook until onions are soft.
- Add the pulled pork, tomatoes, chicken stock, barbecue sauce, Worcestershire, brown sugar, cayenne, salt and freshly ground black pepper. Bring to a boil then reduce to simmering heat and cook in medium low heat for 1 hour.
- Add the corn, lima and potatoes and cook for 30 more minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Turn heat off, serve with hot sauce and soda crackers.