There are a lot of Szechuan dishes, but there are the ones that are really popular as they do stand out from the rest like this Spicy Szechuan Eggplant.
- 200g minced pork
- 4 pcs Asian eggplants, sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 1 tsp ginger, minced
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp oyster sauce
- 4 tbsp Chinese cooking wine
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 1 tbsp chili-bean sauce
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp Szechuan peppercorns, lightly toasted and pounded using mortar and pestle
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 2 tsp cornstarch
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- Prepare a really hot wok then add oil. Once oil is near its smoking point add pork and stir fry for 2 minutes. Remove from wok then set aside.
- Sauté garlic, shallots and ginger.
- Add eggplants and continuously stir fry for 1 minute in high heat.
- Combine together cooking wine, chicken stock, soy sauce, oyster sauce, chilli bean sauce, sugar, Szechuan peppercorns, cayenne pepper and cornstarch, mix well until free of lumps. Pour into the wok and bring to a boil.
- Add the pork back and sesame oil then cook until eggplants are tender.
- Season with salt if needed then serve with freshly steamed rice.