Fish in Mushroom Cream Sauce
This Fish in Mushroom Cream Sauce was one of the dishes I always wanted to make but already forgot as I have a long list of dishes I wanted to do, luckily I recently had this in one of baptism reception I was invited to reminding me to make some at home.
Fish in Mushroom Cream Sauce is a simple dish of a lightly breaded pan fried fish served on a creamy sauce with mushrooms, the delicate texture and flavours are lightly enhanced by hints of lemon. Filipinos usually enjoy this with rice but I can see this will be also good with grilled cauliflowers, baked potatoes or even crusty breads.
- 6 pcs medium sized dory fillets
- juice from 1 lemon
- ½ cup flour
- ½ cup cornstarch
- 200 g white button mushrooms, sliced
- 1½ cups milk
- 3 tbsp cup flour
- 100 grams butter
- 2 pcs small shallots, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- freshly ground black pepper
- Combine flour, cornstarch, salt and freshly ground black pepper together then place in a large bowl.
- Season dory fillets with salt, freshly ground black pepper and lemon juice then set it aside for 15 minutes.
- Lightly dredge fish fillets in flour mixture then pan fry them until golden brown on both sides. Set it aside.
- In a separate pan add small amount of oil then cook mushrooms for a minute. Once cooked remove from pan then set it aside.
- Add butter then sauté garlic and shallots.
- Add flour and cook until it forms a roux.
- Gently pour milk while mixing until it forms into a smooth thick sauce.
- Add the nutmeg and mushrooms, simmer for a minute.
- Add the fish then continue to simmer for one more minute. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper if needed.