Shoyu Ramen is one of the many types of ramen distinguished by its clear brown soup made out of chicken and vegetable stock cooked together with soy sauce. It is usually topped with marinated bamboo shoots (menma), spring onions, kamaboko (fish cakes), nori (seaweed)-, boiled eggs and chāshū.
Kombu Dashi and Tare
- 800g boneless roasting pork shoulder, do not remove the tie
- 1 kg chicken frames
- 500 g pork bones
- 2 bunches spring onions, chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled, and cut into chunks
- 1 garlic, cut horizontally
- 1 thumb sized ginger, peeled
- 1/4 cup bonito flakes
- 2 tbsp oil
- freshly ground pepper
- 800 g fresh ramen noodles
- 4 eggs, hard boiled
- 1 bunch spring onions, thinly sliced
- 3 seasoned toasted nori sheets, cut into squares
- Chili oil
- toasted sesame oil
- shichimi togarashi
Kombu Dashi and Tare
- For the Kombu dashi combine kombu and 3.5 litres cold water in a large bowl then let it sit in a room temperature for a maximum of 12 hours.
- For the Tare, on a small bowl combine soy sauce, sake and mirin. Cover then place in the refrigerator.
- Season generously pork shoulder with salt and pepper.
- In a large heavy pan add oil then brown pork shoulder on all sides for around 10 minutes on each side.
- Prepare a soup pot then place the pork shoulder, chicken frames, pork bones, spring onions, carrots, garlic, ginger and bonito flakes.
- Remove kombu from the water then pour half of it over the soup pot. Bring to a boil and cook for 1 hour, remove any scum that rises the top.
- Add the remaining Kombu dashi and continue to boil for 1 1/2 hours or until liquid is roughly half its original volume.
- Remove pork shoulder from the stock then set aside.
- Using a fine sieve strain stock into a clean soup pot to discard any solids, place in stove top in low heat.
- Remove pork shoulder from stock then let it cool.
- Remove the string then thinly slice pork shoulder then set is aside.
- Cook ramen according to package instructions. Drain noodles then place in individual bowls.
- Top with sliced pork then ladle hot soup stock over noodles, add the tare.
- Add the toasted nori sheets, spring onions and eggs.
- Serve with chili oil, sesame oil, and shichimi togarashi.