Stir Fried Chinese Cabbage and Shiitake Mushrooms
When I use cabbages on dishes you can bet that there will always be leftovers as cabbages tend to be huge and cooking them all at once makes no sense, which is why when we have cabbages the leftovers are used for experiments, a new dish that we can try it with like stews and stir fries. Having said that this is one good example of it, Stir Fried Napa Cabbage and Shiitake.
It’s a simple dish of stir fried Napa Cabbage with Shiitake, really simple to make and this specific vegetable absorbs lots of flavours from the oyster sauce to the earthy mushroom flavours, so you can munch this on its own or have it as a side dish.
- half of 1 large Napa / Chinese Cabbage, chopped (separate white part and green part)
- 6 pcs dried shiitake mushroom, rehydrated and sliced (reserve the liquid)
- 3 tablespoons oyster sauce
- 1 tablespoon Chinese cooking wine
- 2 tsp cornstarch
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- freshly ground black pepper
- Combine together oyster sauce, Chinese cooking wine, cornstarch and ¼ cup water used to rehydrate mushrooms. Mix well then set aside.
- In a wok add oil then sauté garlic.
- Add mushrooms and stir fry for a minute.
- Add the white part and stir fry for 3-5 minutes or until partly wilted.
- Then add the green parts of the cabbage, stir fry for a minute.
- Add the combined sauce on step 1 then stir fry for 1 more minute. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.