Pumpkin pie is a pumpkin based custard basically made out of mashed pumpkins, milk, eggs and spices like cinnamon and nutmeg baked in a sweet pie crust served with whipped cream. Usually pumpkin pies are served during fall in the United States and Canada more specifically Thanksgiving and Christmas.
Origins of this dish dates back to the time of the original settlers in America. As they observe Native Americans they saw the extensive use of pumpkins in their cuisine. These settlers then develop desserts made out of these then the pumpkin pie was born. Initial versions of pumpkin pie just use pumpkins and milk without spices, it was added later on.
Pumpkin pie did not become a common dish to prepare during Thanksgiving dinners until the early nineteenth century.
Making this is quite easy specially with the store bought short crust pasty you can make something in less than an hour and if you don’t like pumpkins at all you can just simply replace it with the same amount of sweet potatoes, yam, purple yam or even potatoes.
- 2 cups mashed pumpkin
- ¾ cup cream
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- ¾ cup sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- 1 sheet shortcut pastry
- whipped cream (to serve)
- 1 egg white
- Combine together and mix well mashed pumpkin, cream, eggs, sugar, vanilla extract, ground cinnamon, salt and nutmeg in a large mixing bowl until smooth. Set it aside.
- Place shortcut pastry in a lightly greased 9in round pie pan then line top with baking paper or aluminium foil, place pie weights on top (or uncooked rice), trim of edges. Place in a 180C preheated oven then bake for 15 minutes. Remove from oven then brush top with egg white, place it back to the oven then bake for 5 to 10 more minutes or until it turns golden brown. Remove from oven then let it cool.
- Increase oven temperature to 200C.
- Pour pumpkin mix into the pie shell then place in the oven, bake for 10 minutes. Reduce heat to 180C then bake for 35-40 more minutes or until filling has set.
You can cook your pumpkins in multiple ways, boil or steam them until soft or you can bake or grill at 180C for 45 minutes for extra flavour.