Fish Head Curry is a curry dish popular in the Malaysian and Singaporean cuisine, it is usually made out of large red snapper head cooked in a Kerala-style curry together with okra, eggplants and tomatoes.
- 1 large snapper fish head, cleaned and scaled
- 3 tomatoes, quartered
- 1 dozen okra (optional)
- 2 stalks lemongrass, lightly pounded
- 400 ml coconut milk
- 3 cups water
- 4 tbsp curry powder
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper (omit if you don’t want it really spicy)
- 1 tbsp sugar
- fish sauce
- chopped coriander, to garnish
- 8 pcs shallots, peeled
- 6 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 inch galangal, peeled
- 1 inch ginger, peeled
- 2 pcs candlenuts
- 3 pcs red chillies
- 2 tbsp oil
- Generously rub salt on fish head and set it aside for 30 minutes. Rinse with running water then set it aside.
- Place all spice paste ingredients in a food processor then blend well to make a paste, set it aside.
- In a large wok add oil then sauté the spice paste for around 3 minutes or until really fragrant. Add the curry powder and cayenne and fry for 2 more minutes.
- Add water and lemongrass, bring it to a boil then simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add the coconut milk and let it boil again, once boiling add the fish head, okra (if using) and tomatoes, cover the wok then simmer for 15 minutes turning the fish over to the other side halfway the cooking time.
- Turn heat off then serve with freshly steamed rice.
Oh, yes Raymund – delicious
This cut of fish is unfamiliar to most American palates, but it sounds really flavorful.
You know what Ray.
my old man said that Fish head curry can be the great selection tools for future mrs.Dentist Chef
My dad ask me to bring a girl to a fish head curry restaurant, if she eat it without any hesitation and cleaned the goodness out of the bone, she would be a great wife then….
One of my favourite curries ever ! I like the nonya versions too that use assam (tamarind) to make it a more sour curry. YUM!
What kind of curry should I purchase?
You need curry powder plus some spice paste indicated on the recipe