Kau Kee Beef Noodle Soup is one of the most popular beef noodle soup dishes in Hong Kong if not the best, it was created and popularized by a small restaurant located in Gough St just between Central and Sheung Wan MTR Stations. It’s so popular during peak times diners will have to wait long hours just to have their orders.
Noodles and Soup
- 1 kg beef brisket with a good amount of fat, cubed
- 1 beef leg bone (ask your butcher to cut it in half so marrow is exposed)
- 500g beef tendons, cubed
- 1/2 large daikon radish
- 1 thumb sized ginger, sliced
- 1 large white onion, peeled
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp Shaoxing wine
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 pc star anise
- fish sauce
- white pepper
- rice noodles, to serve
- chopped spring onions, to garnish
- In a pot combine beef tendons, beef brisket and leg bones, add water enough to cover the meat. Bring it to a boil and leave it boiling for 3 minutes.
- Drain the pot and rinse meat with running cold water to remove the scum. Set aside the meat.
- In the same pot (make sure it’s clean of scum) add a small amount of oil then sauté garlic and ginger until fragrant.
- Place tendons and leg bones back together with all other ingredients except for daikon radish and brisket, pour enough water to cover meat then cover and bring to a boil. Simmer for 1 hour. Add the brisket then continue to boil for 1 more hour, add water if necessary.
- Add the daikon radish the simmer for another hour, add water if necessary.
- Using a colander separate the liquid into a separate pot and set aside the tendons and beef brisket.
- Continue to simmer the stock for 5 more minutes, season if necessary.
- Place noodles in a bowl, add some of the tendons and beef then ladle some hot soup and garnish with spring onions.
I love the combo of brisket, daikon and tendon in these soups, such a hearty dish for cold weather too!
Mmmm – this looks so delicious – will have to give it a try:)
i love beef noodles.. you made me hungry raymund.. i’ll try this one for sure.
I can almost taste that meltingly soft meat. I love this dish.
It is made with brisket…Yum!!!! It looks super comforting and hearty — ideal for the upcoming season: Fall!
Delicious lookin soup!
Hello Ray, yes this is a very popular soup here and I have never had it so fancy as how you are serving it up today. I have only it had it in styrofoam bowls to go in a busy rush. Your soup sounds so aromatic and perfect for these change of seasons and damp weather we are having in HK this week.
“fork tender beef” with slippery soft noodles in soup. Comfort doesn’t come much better than this !
It’s getting cooler at night and the photos of this dish totally bring me comfort… Looks so good!
It’s been ages since I’ve even tasted this Raymond, so I’m going to give this recipe a go for sure. Always a sucka for the amazing aromas of garlic & ginger.