Roast Beef with Red Wine Gravy is a simple dish made out of seasoned beef roasted in an oven, often served with sauce in a form of red wine gravy alongside different roasted vegetables that are cooked together with the beef like pumpkins, carrot and potatoes.
- 1.5 kg roasting beef (topside or tenderloin)
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 2 sticks celery, sliced
- 1/2 pumpkin, cubed
- 2 pcs sweet potatoes, cubed
- 1 whole garlic, lightly pounded leave skin on
- olive oil
- sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper
Red Wine Gravy
- 3 cups beef stock
- 1/2 cup dry red wine
- 4 tbsp brandy
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 tsp sugar
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme, finely chopped
- 2 pcs bay leaf
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- Drizzle beef with olive oil then generously season it with salt and pepper. Add oil to a cast iron roasting pan, place it on stove top and sear beef on all sides.
- Add onions, carrots, celery and garlic together with the beef then place in a 200C preheated oven and cook for 1 hour medium or 1 hr. 15 mins for well done.
- In the last 45 minutes turn beef to the other side coating it with the juices from the pan then add the pumpkin and sweet potatoes. Add 1/4 cup of water to give it moisture then continue with the roasting.
- Once cooked to your liking remove from oven then cover it with tin foil, set aside for 15 minutes while you are making your gravy.
Red Wine Gravy
- In a sauce pan add butter and onions, cook in low heat until soft which will take around 10 minutes.
- Add sugar to help with the caramelization of onions then cook for 10 more minutes.
- Add garlic and thyme then cook for 5 more minutes.
- Add stock, wine, brandy and bay leaf, bring it to a boil, then simmer for 30 minutes or until sauce is reduced. Remove the bay leaf.
- Make cornstarch slurry by mixing 2 tbsp cornstarch with 2 tbsp of water then combine it with the sauce, cook until thick.
- Extract the roast beef juices from the pan then add it to the Red Wine gravy, give it a good mix then turn heat off. Serve with roast beef.